Drama : 10/2/15

Fifth graders have been getting ready for their “Lewis and Clark” auditions.  In class students practiced their diaphragm breathing.  We talked about the importance of breathing properly in order to project properly.  In class we also talked about articulation or “chewing our words” when we speak.  We also played a warm-up game called “Zip Zap Zop”. The fifth graders worked on eye contact, concentration, listening skills and  being direct with their movements! I was proud of how well they did!  We also talked about what is means to have a good audition.  A cold reading will be the type of drama audition fifth graders  will have for “Lewis and Clark”. This is when the student stands up in front of their classmates and reads a line from the script. I will also ask students to say the line with a specific emotion.  This takes a lot of courage to do and I am proud of all of my fifth graders! 

Sixth graders this week have continued their physical warm-ups and tongue twisters at the beginning of class. This week students were assigned their scene partners for scene night. Just a reminder scene night performance is November 11th at 6 pm in the gym.  See you all there!  Students have also been working hard to find a scene this week.  I think it is important students pick something that they want to do so that they are invested and have confidence to perform.   Sixth graders have a choice to do a drama, comedy, tragedy, horror, or Shakespeare.  I have many different books and scripts that they looked through this week in class. If students are not able to find one, I will then choose a scene for them!

Seventh graders this week have continued their physical warm-ups and tongue twisters at the beginning of class. Last week students got to choose  scene partners for scene night. Just a reminder scene night performance is November 11th at 6pm in the gym.  See you all there!   Students have also been working hard to find a scene this week.  I think it is important students pick something that they want to do so that they are invested and have confidence to perform. Seventh graders can choose a scene from a book, Television show, movie, tragedy, horror, comedy or a musical! Seventh graders are also allowed to write their own script if they choose to do so. I am looking forward to seeing what students choose!

Eighth graders have continued their physical warm-ups and tongue twisters at the beginning of class.  They also have continued to journal in their DDD’s.  We have been working on listening and following directions in class. I will take the class through many different scenarios and the eighth graders use their imagination to  act it out. Everything is done in mime so they really have to focus on their bodies and expressions.  It was so wonderful to see all of the different interpretations students had.  Each eighth grader will have the opportunity to  direct the classmates by taking them through this same exercise that they write on their own. I look forward to hearing everyone’s creative ideas!